McFarland USA
02/21/2015 7:17:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Went and watched McFarland USA last night, wow! Most of the crowd cheered and clapped at the end. Great story, based on the true story of an XC team in CA. Small farming town where 90% of the kids are Latino farm workers. But, this team is the only team in CA history to win 5 State Championships in a row, in any sport! The plot is a bit predictable, typical Disney formulaic plot, but great acting, neat story, Disney film so it's clean as a whistle. Take your team to go see it!
Went and watched McFarland USA last night, wow! Most of the crowd cheered and clapped at the end.

Great story, based on the true story of an XC team in CA. Small farming town where 90% of the kids are Latino farm workers. But, this team is the only team in CA history to win 5 State Championships in a row, in any sport!

The plot is a bit predictable, typical Disney formulaic plot, but great acting, neat story, Disney film so it's clean as a whistle.

Take your team to go see it!
02/21/2015 9:12:43 PM
User
@CoachMark I can't wait to see a movie about high school Cross Country. Maybe movies like this will help the sport to grow in American.
@CoachMark I can't wait to see a movie about high school Cross Country. Maybe movies like this will help the sport to grow in American.
02/23/2015 11:17:47 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I saw the movie yesterday and remembered reading the story in a Sports Illustrated article ten years ago. Here is the article link: http://www.si.com/vault/2004/03/15/365175/running-for-their-lives-thanks-to-a-selfless-coach-the-sons-of-mexican-migrants-in-a-dirt-poor-california-town-turned-their-backs-on-drugs-and-gangs-and-built-an-athletic-dynasty-but-what-would-they-do-without-him
I saw the movie yesterday and remembered reading the story in a Sports Illustrated article ten years ago. Here is the article link: http://www.si.com/vault/2004/03/15/365175/running-for-their-lives-thanks-to-a-selfless-coach-the-sons-of-mexican-migrants-in-a-dirt-poor-california-town-turned-their-backs-on-drugs-and-gangs-and-built-an-athletic-dynasty-but-what-would-they-do-without-him
02/24/2015 10:46:54 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
As a former runner, I really connected to this movie. It was very entertaining but it also told a very interesting story.
As a former runner, I really connected to this movie. It was very entertaining but it also told a very interesting story.
02/25/2015 12:09:29 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I agree...I am definitely biased with a cross country background...but I noticed the other people with no running background in the audience, commenting on it being inspirational. Let's get ready fellow coaches...our rosters are going to be a lot larger this Fall! Good for the sport.
I agree...I am definitely biased with a cross country background...but I noticed the other people with no running background in the audience, commenting on it being inspirational. Let's get ready fellow coaches...our rosters are going to be a lot larger this Fall! Good for the sport.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.