Article Comment: Taco Bell Classic: Daniel's Barton wins 800, U.S. no. 6, S.C. no. 1
04/11/2015 10:40:05 PM
User
Wow! Congratulations Laurie!
Wow! Congratulations Laurie!
04/12/2015 1:57:53 AM
User
Ms. Barton is a special runner - an intriguing mix of speed and endurance. I watched Ms. Barton run at Spring Valley two weeks ago in the Coaches Classic when she smoked a solid 800 field in a seemingly effortless 2:18 victory. She absolutely owned the race - winning by 50+ yards. I was so impressed by her performance that I rushed home to check her running history on SCrunners. Wasn't surprised to find she had been running mainly in the sprints (100, 200, and the 400) with decent times in the 100 and 200, and good times in the 400. I was surprised to find she'd finished 2nd in the 3-A SCHSL State Championships with a time of 18:39. Now, in today's Taco Bell, she blew away a talented group of regional runners with a fantastic time of 2:10. And she's only a junior? With all her talent, it will be interesting to see if she sticks with both the 800 and the longer distances. Would love to see what she could do in the mile/1,600 and 3,200. Hope she also continues with the 5K when cross country comes around next year. I'm sure her coaches and parents will provide her excellent advice in planning her future running endeavors. Best wishes from an impressed fan.
Ms. Barton is a special runner - an intriguing mix of speed and endurance. I watched Ms. Barton run at Spring Valley two weeks ago in the Coaches Classic when she smoked a solid 800 field in a seemingly effortless 2:18 victory. She absolutely owned the race - winning by 50+ yards.

I was so impressed by her performance that I rushed home to check her running history on SCrunners. Wasn't surprised to find she had been running mainly in the sprints (100, 200, and the 400) with decent times in the 100 and 200, and good times in the 400. I was surprised to find she'd finished 2nd in the 3-A SCHSL State Championships with a time of 18:39. Now, in today's Taco Bell, she blew away a talented group of regional runners with a fantastic time of 2:10.

And she's only a junior? With all her talent, it will be interesting to see if she sticks with both the 800 and the longer distances. Would love to see what she could do in the mile/1,600 and 3,200. Hope she also continues with the 5K when cross country comes around next year. I'm sure her coaches and parents will provide her excellent advice in planning her future running endeavors. Best wishes from an impressed fan.
04/12/2015 12:29:39 PM
User
I know Laurie ran the 800 at Taco Bell last year too. Posting around a 2:20 and placing fifth I think. It looks to me like she can run just about every event and be very very good, from the sprints, to middle distance long distance, and hurdles. Perhaps Pentathlon is in her future
I know Laurie ran the 800 at Taco Bell last year too. Posting around a 2:20 and placing fifth I think. It looks to me like she can run just about every event and be very very good, from the sprints, to middle distance long distance, and hurdles. Perhaps Pentathlon is in her future
04/12/2015 12:33:50 PM
User
I believe Laurie negative split her 800 yesterday too. I haven't seen many come close to being able to do that.
I believe Laurie negative split her 800 yesterday too. I haven't seen many come close to being able to do that.
04/13/2015 12:40:52 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Looking at the video, looks like it was close to even split, maybe even 0.5 on the positive. And she didn't look that winded at the finish! So I agree, would be cool to see her pushed. Not likely at state. If she goes to New Balance, then for sure. With an 8 second drop in PR, this was for sure the first time ever she had pushed hard. Love to see where this girl goes! Great job Laurie!
Looking at the video, looks like it was close to even split, maybe even 0.5 on the positive. And she didn't look that winded at the finish! So I agree, would be cool to see her pushed. Not likely at state. If she goes to New Balance, then for sure. With an 8 second drop in PR, this was for sure the first time ever she had pushed hard. Love to see where this girl goes! Great job Laurie!
04/13/2015 9:20:39 PM
User
She seemed to be pushed at Coaches classic a few weeks ago, tho she has a tremendous finish kick and ran past her comp in that race, where she went 2:18. Last year her best time was at the Taco Bell, 2:20. She came from way back the last hundred and just clipped the runner from Irmo at the finish in that race. The rest of the season last year, she did not run as fast, winning state title in 3A, she didn't need to. She ran an 18:39 5k to place in the top two or three for XC this past fall season in the 3A state championship.
She seemed to be pushed at Coaches classic a few weeks ago, tho she has a tremendous finish kick and ran past her comp in that race, where she went 2:18. Last year her best time was at the Taco Bell, 2:20. She came from way back the last hundred and just clipped the runner from Irmo at the finish in that race. The rest of the season last year, she did not run as fast, winning state title in 3A, she didn't need to. She ran an 18:39 5k to place in the top two or three for XC this past fall season in the 3A state championship.
04/13/2015 11:37:53 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
True. One big difference between all these races was she only ran the 800 this time. Last year was her first year running the 800m, so little experience and relying on her sprinter kick? Plus, at Taco Bell she just jumped off the podium from 2nd in the 400 hurdles to run the 800. Brutal! Also, at state she ran the 4x800 and 400 before running the 800. Then followed with the 4x400. So probably just survival at State. Which btw too bad you have to set the state record at state meet where teams need points. Makes it hard for athletes to focus on one event to set the record, especially in distance and middle distance. Oh, also, when I mean push I mean more in the first lap. Coaches classic was 1:10 first lap. Taco Bell was more like 1:05.5. At New Balance the fastest girls go around 1:01. For a sprinter it's probably scary to push that far in the first lap for fear of losing the kick you are used to relying on. The psychology of 800 and up is interesting. Sorry I digress...I'm a track nerd. This girl makes it fun to follow though. 2:18 to 2:10, Wow!
True. One big difference between all these races was she only ran the 800 this time. Last year was her first year running the 800m, so little experience and relying on her sprinter kick? Plus, at Taco Bell she just jumped off the podium from 2nd in the 400 hurdles to run the 800. Brutal! Also, at state she ran the 4x800 and 400 before running the 800. Then followed with the 4x400. So probably just survival at State. Which btw too bad you have to set the state record at state meet where teams need points. Makes it hard for athletes to focus on one event to set the record, especially in distance and middle distance. Oh, also, when I mean push I mean more in the first lap. Coaches classic was 1:10 first lap. Taco Bell was more like 1:05.5. At New Balance the fastest girls go around 1:01. For a sprinter it's probably scary to push that far in the first lap for fear of losing the kick you are used to relying on. The psychology of 800 and up is interesting. Sorry I digress...I'm a track nerd. This girl makes it fun to follow though. 2:18 to 2:10, Wow!
04/14/2015 7:23:44 PM
User
She was second at State XC for 3a. I watched when she kicked at the end and truly believe if she had started to kick about 100 yds sooner she would have won. It was great to watch.
She was second at State XC for 3a. I watched when she kicked at the end and truly believe if she had started to kick about 100 yds sooner she would have won. It was great to watch.
04/14/2015 9:32:41 PM
User
Must be something in the water at Daniel High School... Jacob Slann is also having a strong season so far. I still think he has more in him for the 1600. They're probably the best male/female duo in the state. Will be interesting to see how they close the season out!
Must be something in the water at Daniel High School... Jacob Slann is also having a strong season so far. I still think he has more in him for the 1600. They're probably the best male/female duo in the state. Will be interesting to see how they close the season out!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.