Parent Sues Track Team
05/28/2013 9:31:50 AM
Coach
I know it's probably rare for anyone to ever deal with helicopter parents, but here's a situation from a school in Philadelphia that appears to out-do even the typical helicopter parent. [url=http://articles.philly.com/2013-05-27/news/39559504_1_son-catholic-school-track]http://articles.philly.com/2013-05-27/news/39559504_1_son-catholic-school-track[/url]
I know it's probably rare for anyone to ever deal with helicopter parents, but here's a situation from a school in Philadelphia that appears to out-do even the typical helicopter parent.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-05-27/news/39559504_1_son-catholic-school-track
05/28/2013 1:12:14 PM
Coach
Interesting, as I have said many times playing a sport while in school is not a right. It's a privilege that is given and earned with many strings attached.
Interesting, as I have said many times playing a sport while in school is not a right. It's a privilege that is given and earned with many strings attached.
05/28/2013 8:03:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Here is the Milesplit page for the kid. http://nj.milesplit.com/athletes/3076586-mawusi-mawusimensah
Here is the Milesplit page for the kid.
http://nj.milesplit.com/athletes/3076586-mawusi-mawusimensah
05/28/2013 8:45:54 PM
Coach
@mschardein Yeah, and that gives me my favorite quote from the whole article (from the Dad): "Participation in extracurricular activities is a right" :-D
@mschardein
Yeah, and that gives me my favorite quote from the whole article (from the Dad):
"Participation in extracurricular activities is a right"
05/29/2013 8:38:44 AM
User
I don't really see how the parents have any grounds to sue. Sounds like the kid just didn't go to practice and the Dad is trying to make it about something else. I mean...$40 million dollars?
I don't really see how the parents have any grounds to sue. Sounds like the kid just didn't go to practice and the Dad is trying to make it about something else. I mean...$40 million dollars?
05/29/2013 9:06:11 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Let's assume that this will be a loss for the father/son duo. The real question is how much is it going to cost the school defending itself in court. This is a perfect example of a frivolous lawsuit. Under some bizzarro world where this is a win for the father/son it would basically signal the end of all HS sports as we know it. No cuts, no accountability to team rules, no coaches' authority/autonomy. In the end, just the fact that this suit was brought up is another chip in the armor of scholastic sports. Schools and school districts cannot afford to waste money on things like this.
Let's assume that this will be a loss for the father/son duo. The real question is how much is it going to cost the school defending itself in court. This is a perfect example of a frivolous lawsuit.

Under some bizzarro world where this is a win for the father/son it would basically signal the end of all HS sports as we know it. No cuts, no accountability to team rules, no coaches' authority/autonomy.

In the end, just the fact that this suit was brought up is another chip in the armor of scholastic sports. Schools and school districts cannot afford to waste money on things like this.
05/29/2013 11:00:17 AM
Coach
@theMike I would love to be the judge in this one when the Dad or his attorney tries to argue that this situation hurts little Mimosa's ability to earn a college scholarship. We had an athlete some years ago who got hurt, and one of the parents thought the doctor made some sort of error in helping rehabilitate the kid (or something like that). In any event, I had an attorney contact me a few years later and he made it sound like they were using the "she could have gotten an athletic scholarship" line in that one as well. Problem was, and that appears to be the situation in this current case, the kid just wasn't that good. Anyone who's been around competitive soccer, baseball, basketball, etc, has heard parents who make these kind of comments. When the assessment of ability can be much more subjective than objective, it's a lot easier for parents (and coaches) to inflate a kid's potential and do it with a straight face. Track and Cross Country are so much more objective, because you've got times or marks to compare. I think it's safe to say that this case has little merit, but what happens if you have a much better kid in the same situation? If this case does get to a decision, then I'll be interested to see whether the court addresses the "sports is a right" claim, or focuses on the kid's ability.
@theMike
I would love to be the judge in this one when the Dad or his attorney tries to argue that this situation hurts little Mimosa's ability to earn a college scholarship. We had an athlete some years ago who got hurt, and one of the parents thought the doctor made some sort of error in helping rehabilitate the kid (or something like that). In any event, I had an attorney contact me a few years later and he made it sound like they were using the "she could have gotten an athletic scholarship" line in that one as well. Problem was, and that appears to be the situation in this current case, the kid just wasn't that good.

Anyone who's been around competitive soccer, baseball, basketball, etc, has heard parents who make these kind of comments. When the assessment of ability can be much more subjective than objective, it's a lot easier for parents (and coaches) to inflate a kid's potential and do it with a straight face. Track and Cross Country are so much more objective, because you've got times or marks to compare. I think it's safe to say that this case has little merit, but what happens if you have a much better kid in the same situation? If this case does get to a decision, then I'll be interested to see whether the court addresses the "sports is a right" claim, or focuses on the kid's ability.
05/31/2013 9:59:04 PM
User
if sports are a right, SIGN ME UP FOR UofL basketball!!! I deserve a championship ring and whatnot, i mean after all i did average 20 points per game in my church league. :-p
if sports are a right, SIGN ME UP FOR UofL basketball!!! I deserve a championship ring and whatnot, i mean after all i did average 20 points per game in my church league.
06/01/2013 8:42:30 PM
User
People can, and do sue for anything. Believe it or not there is a rule of civil procedure (Rule 11) that a lawyer must have a good faith basis for filing any pleading in a lawsuit. There is plenty of case law saying that participation in sports is not a constitionally protected right. The resolution will be interesting.
People can, and do sue for anything. Believe it or not there is a rule of civil procedure (Rule 11) that a lawyer must have a good faith basis for filing any pleading in a lawsuit. There is plenty of case law saying that participation in sports is not a constitionally protected right. The resolution will be interesting.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.