State Meet Atmosphere
05/18/2012 9:32:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
After being at the first day of the state meet yesterday, I have to say that I'm saddened by what the atmosphere has become at the state meet. Since we went to the one-day meet with all these heats and no finals, the meet seems more like a large invitational than a championship meet. Add to that the fact that I was there from beginning to end, and I don't recall a single time that team scores were announced during the meet. There were close battles for first in both the girls and boys team races, but unless you were on one of those teams and knew what the situation was, you would nevern have known it. How many sporting events, especially championship events, have you been to where you didn't know the score until the game was over (except for cross country, for obvious reasons)? Now, as a final act of sterilization, the KHSAA decided to move the awards presentations outside the stadium this year. How lame is that? They read the results and told kids to go outside the stadium to pick up their awards. I guess next year they'll just put them in a manilla envelope to pick up at the end of the meet like an invitational. If I get a medal at state, and especially if I'm a state champion, I want to have the opportunity to stand up in front of everybody and get some cheers. What a cheat for the kids this is. Both the athlete and the spectator experience are hurting. Get the awards back on the field, and get the announcers more involved in the meet. Let them give more than just lane assignments and results. Talk about who the players are and what their bests are for the season and where they're ranked, how they play into the team race, etc. Heck, get a remote microphone and interview the winners on the infield after the race. The state meet should be an experience, not just another meet.
After being at the first day of the state meet yesterday, I have to say that I'm saddened by what the atmosphere has become at the state meet. Since we went to the one-day meet with all these heats and no finals, the meet seems more like a large invitational than a championship meet. Add to that the fact that I was there from beginning to end, and I don't recall a single time that team scores were announced during the meet. There were close battles for first in both the girls and boys team races, but unless you were on one of those teams and knew what the situation was, you would nevern have known it. How many sporting events, especially championship events, have you been to where you didn't know the score until the game was over (except for cross country, for obvious reasons)?

Now, as a final act of sterilization, the KHSAA decided to move the awards presentations outside the stadium this year. How lame is that? They read the results and told kids to go outside the stadium to pick up their awards. I guess next year they'll just put them in a manilla envelope to pick up at the end of the meet like an invitational. If I get a medal at state, and especially if I'm a state champion, I want to have the opportunity to stand up in front of everybody and get some cheers. What a cheat for the kids this is.

Both the athlete and the spectator experience are hurting. Get the awards back on the field, and get the announcers more involved in the meet. Let them give more than just lane assignments and results. Talk about who the players are and what their bests are for the season and where they're ranked, how they play into the team race, etc. Heck, get a remote microphone and interview the winners on the infield after the race. The state meet should be an experience, not just another meet.
05/18/2012 9:53:32 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05/18/2012 10:15:22 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I gotta say that when I heard that they had moved the awards outside the stadium, that really saddened me. I completely agree with BCRUMBO. It needs to be a big deal, not an invitational type atmosphere. I would love to see prelims and finals come back, and moving the 4x8 back to the first day. I know I am just saying stuff that's already been said, but moving the awards outside really stinks. Part of being at state is being able to stand on that podium. I had some alumni send some emails to my kids right before regionals and more than one of them said their favorite memory of track and field was standing on that podium. Now I guess they would say my favorite memory was picking up my award out by the playground. Doesn't really have the same ring to it. We need to make that known to those that have say in these matters. On the announcer thing, I know a great one down here on this end of the state that would do a GREAT job. We had him announce for us more than once at our invites, and he had researched the teams coming from Tennessee, knew where certain ones of them had placed in their state meets, etc....it was awesome. It got the crowd into it and he received a lot of compliments. We actually had a heat that had the 2A State champion from the year before, 3A state champion from the year before, a TN state champion and a TN runner up in it for the hurdles. It was awesome knowing that going into the race. He announced each kid and where they had placed, etc...it was great. Do the right thing for the kids KHSAA!
I gotta say that when I heard that they had moved the awards outside the stadium, that really saddened me. I completely agree with BCRUMBO. It needs to be a big deal, not an invitational type atmosphere. I would love to see prelims and finals come back, and moving the 4x8 back to the first day. I know I am just saying stuff that's already been said, but moving the awards outside really stinks. Part of being at state is being able to stand on that podium. I had some alumni send some emails to my kids right before regionals and more than one of them said their favorite memory of track and field was standing on that podium. Now I guess they would say my favorite memory was picking up my award out by the playground. Doesn't really have the same ring to it. We need to make that known to those that have say in these matters.

On the announcer thing, I know a great one down here on this end of the state that would do a GREAT job. We had him announce for us more than once at our invites, and he had researched the teams coming from Tennessee, knew where certain ones of them had placed in their state meets, etc....it was awesome. It got the crowd into it and he received a lot of compliments. We actually had a heat that had the 2A State champion from the year before, 3A state champion from the year before, a TN state champion and a TN runner up in it for the hurdles. It was awesome knowing that going into the race. He announced each kid and where they had placed, etc...it was great.

Do the right thing for the kids KHSAA!
05/18/2012 10:22:40 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Toggle Yup. Up here in the Louisville area, Matt Girardin does an excellent job announcing meets. He did our Sundown Invitational and our regional, with all the background work and information. Anybody that was at our regional will tell you the atmosphere was incredible with the crowd really into it, which in turn feeds into the athletes performance. Edit: I'm not saying the guys in the booth now at state are bad. I just think they need to be unleashed!
@Toggle

Yup. Up here in the Louisville area, Matt Girardin does an excellent job announcing meets. He did our Sundown Invitational and our regional, with all the background work and information. Anybody that was at our regional will tell you the atmosphere was incredible with the crowd really into it, which in turn feeds into the athletes performance.

Edit: I'm not saying the guys in the booth now at state are bad. I just think they need to be unleashed!
05/18/2012 10:34:14 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@BCrumbo Sent a message to your inbox....
@BCrumbo

Sent a message to your inbox....
05/18/2012 10:34:43 AM
Coach
@BCrumbo I couldn't agree more! I plan to contact the KHSAA after the season to express my opinion and I'd suggest others who feel similarly do the same.
@BCrumbo
I couldn't agree more! I plan to contact the KHSAA after the season to express my opinion and I'd suggest others who feel similarly do the same.
05/18/2012 10:54:10 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@WKUThrow I hadn't thought of it until you posted, but this awards setup really sucks for the throwers more than anybody else. It's bad enough that nobody sees their event since it's outside the stadium, but at least before this year, they got to come in front of the crowd and get recognized for their performance. Now they don't even get that. It's a double-whammy for them.
@WKUThrow

I hadn't thought of it until you posted, but this awards setup really sucks for the throwers more than anybody else. It's bad enough that nobody sees their event since it's outside the stadium, but at least before this year, they got to come in front of the crowd and get recognized for their performance. Now they don't even get that. It's a double-whammy for them.
05/18/2012 10:57:13 AM
Coach
The FHSAA in Florida does it right in my opinion. At least during the years I coached there. Prelims and finals. "Play by Play" announcing by a knowledgeable announcer throught the meet and during events. Can't recall the announcer's name, but he called each event much like a horse race announcer would. Adds a lot to the State Meet atmosphere. Awards podium in the infield for all medal winners, much like the Olympics. Medal winners are announced and presented with awards after their events are finished as the meet schedule permits. Anyway, that may be too much to ask here...
The FHSAA in Florida does it right in my opinion. At least during the years I coached there.

Prelims and finals.

"Play by Play" announcing by a knowledgeable announcer throught the meet and during events.

Can't recall the announcer's name, but he called each event much like a horse race announcer would. Adds a lot to the State Meet atmosphere.

Awards podium in the infield for all medal winners, much like the Olympics.

Medal winners are announced and presented with awards after their events are finished as the meet schedule permits.

Anyway, that may be too much to ask here...
05/18/2012 11:12:51 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Long Jump was evern worse than the throws. I stood within 20 feet of the board and we couldn't hear the judges announce the distances. I went through the entire round of prelims with the parent of my girl jumper, we were inside the fence where the runners go down to the track and we had no idea where she stood in the rankings, we could not here the judges. One thing you folks in 2A and 3A need to push early is using the digital score boards. They had them at Discus and Long Jump and they were not used in either place. With I-65 directly behind the long jump you could only barely make out the judges marks when there wasn't a truck going by on the highway. I don't know about triple jump, I didn't make it over there yesterday. At least at throws the measurer was yelling across the ring to the recorder the distances so everyone in the crowd could stay involved.
Long Jump was evern worse than the throws. I stood within 20 feet of the board and we couldn't hear the judges announce the distances. I went through the entire round of prelims with the parent of my girl jumper, we were inside the fence where the runners go down to the track and we had no idea where she stood in the rankings, we could not here the judges. One thing you folks in 2A and 3A need to push early is using the digital score boards. They had them at Discus and Long Jump and they were not used in either place. With I-65 directly behind the long jump you could only barely make out the judges marks when there wasn't a truck going by on the highway. I don't know about triple jump, I didn't make it over there yesterday.

At least at throws the measurer was yelling across the ring to the recorder the distances so everyone in the crowd could stay involved.
05/18/2012 11:35:51 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Wasn't at the meet last night, but totally agree. I wonder if the advisory committee got any explanation on the changes. Is the awards a scheduling issue, an issue with the grass on the infield at UofL, or what? I wonder if we could get Angela P to attend our next KTCCCA meeting just to explain the logic behind the decisions. It seems as if changes are made every single year that have a significant impact on the meet with no real explanation. Funny that we used to have a two day meet for each class that took a total of 2 days and now we have a one day state meet for each class that takes 3 days?!? The state meet is too important to our sport shortcut so many areas. Everyone talked last year about how with more competitors we had more spectators. Everyone observed how expensive the tickets to get in have gotten. And at the same time the revenue goes up they went from distributing the medals in hard plastic keepsake cases to plastic baggies. We wonder why/how club sports erode high school sports...
Wasn't at the meet last night, but totally agree.

I wonder if the advisory committee got any explanation on the changes. Is the awards a scheduling issue, an issue with the grass on the infield at UofL, or what?

I wonder if we could get Angela P to attend our next KTCCCA meeting just to explain the logic behind the decisions. It seems as if changes are made every single year that have a significant impact on the meet with no real explanation.

Funny that we used to have a two day meet for each class that took a total of 2 days and now we have a one day state meet for each class that takes 3 days?!?

The state meet is too important to our sport shortcut so many areas. Everyone talked last year about how with more competitors we had more spectators. Everyone observed how expensive the tickets to get in have gotten. And at the same time the revenue goes up they went from distributing the medals in hard plastic keepsake cases to plastic baggies.

We wonder why/how club sports erode high school sports...
05/18/2012 6:13:14 PM
User
@WKUThrow To make matters worse, this year the KHSAA did away with the medal ceremony. In the past, if you were the champ, at least you heard your name read out as the 20xx state champion. This year, the kids simply went to a table to pick up their medals. What a disgrace.
@WKUThrow
To make matters worse, this year the KHSAA did away with the medal ceremony. In the past, if you were the champ, at least you heard your name read out as the 20xx state champion. This year, the kids simply went to a table to pick up their medals. What a disgrace.
05/18/2012 6:58:07 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=BCrumbo]After being at the first day of the state meet yesterday, I have to say that I'm [b]SADDENED[/b] by what the atmosphere has become at the state meet. Since we went to the one-day meet with all these heats and no finals, the meet seems more like a large invitational than a championship meet. [b]Add to that the fact that I was there from beginning to end, and I don't recall a single time that team scores were announced during the meet. There were close battles for first in both the girls and boys team races, but unless you were on one of those teams and knew what the situation was, you would never have known it.[/b] How many sporting events, especially championship events, have you been to where you didn't know the score until the game was over (except for cross country, for obvious reasons)? Now, as a final act of sterilization, the KHSAA decided to move the awards presentations outside the stadium this year. How lame is that? They read the results and told kids to go outside the stadium to pick up their awards. I guess next year they'll just put them in a manilla envelope to pick up at the end of the meet like an invitational. If I get a medal at state, and especially if I'm a state champion, I want to have the opportunity to stand up in front of everybody and get some cheers. What a cheat for the kids this is. [b]Both the athlete and the spectator experience are hurting. Get the awards back on the field, and get the announcers more involved in the meet. Let them give more than just lane assignments and results. Talk about who the players are and what their bests are for the season and where they're ranked, how they play into the team race, etc. Heck, get a remote microphone and interview the winners on the infield after the race. The state meet should be an experience, not just another meet.[/b][/quote] @BCrumbo I'm sorry, I sat here trying to think of something to add, but this says it ALL! I'm still not very engaged with Twitter but consider this a RT! It needs to be read again. PLEASE, PLEASE, someone on the advisory committee listen to what our best and most respected coaches have to say. Actually, do MORE than just listen...
BCrumbo wrote:
After being at the first day of the state meet yesterday, I have to say that I'm SADDENED by what the atmosphere has become at the state meet. Since we went to the one-day meet with all these heats and no finals, the meet seems more like a large invitational than a championship meet. Add to that the fact that I was there from beginning to end, and I don't recall a single time that team scores were announced during the meet. There were close battles for first in both the girls and boys team races, but unless you were on one of those teams and knew what the situation was, you would never have known it. How many sporting events, especially championship events, have you been to where you didn't know the score until the game was over (except for cross country, for obvious reasons)?

Now, as a final act of sterilization, the KHSAA decided to move the awards presentations outside the stadium this year. How lame is that? They read the results and told kids to go outside the stadium to pick up their awards. I guess next year they'll just put them in a manilla envelope to pick up at the end of the meet like an invitational. If I get a medal at state, and especially if I'm a state champion, I want to have the opportunity to stand up in front of everybody and get some cheers. What a cheat for the kids this is.

Both the athlete and the spectator experience are hurting. Get the awards back on the field, and get the announcers more involved in the meet. Let them give more than just lane assignments and results. Talk about who the players are and what their bests are for the season and where they're ranked, how they play into the team race, etc. Heck, get a remote microphone and interview the winners on the infield after the race. The state meet should be an experience, not just another meet.

@BCrumbo

I'm sorry, I sat here trying to think of something to add, but this says it ALL!

I'm still not very engaged with Twitter but consider this a RT! It needs to be read again.

PLEASE, PLEASE, someone on the advisory committee listen to what our best and most respected coaches have to say. Actually, do MORE than just listen...
05/18/2012 8:31:57 PM
User
As the parent of a senior runner in the Class A State Meet on Thursday, I am so disappointed in this year's meet. Coach Bo you are right on point! Results of the 4x800 were announced, parents of the top 8 teams flocked to the area of the grandstand designated as "best photo opportunity" for the medal presentation. What a surprise to be told about the medal table under a tent outside of the arena. We want photos for our scrapbooks, for the family members that couldn't attend because it was Thursday, for school yearbooks & trophy cases. One step worse than last year when the winners stood behind small signs that designated their finish place. And it DOES matter to the athletes that there was no podium, or numbers, or handshake, or announcement of their accomplishment in front of peers and spectators. Without details, there were many other problems this year. Advertisement signs blocking the view in the second turn, officials refusing to call out the lengths of jumps, starting the most important meet of the season at 2:30 on a weekday. Hello--parents work during the week, most A & AA schools are hours away from Louisville. It is too late for my kid, but maybe things will improve when UK is the host. I intend to make my complaint to the KHSAA organization and any other organization involved in Kentucky's State Championship Track & Field Meet.
As the parent of a senior runner in the Class A State Meet on Thursday, I am so disappointed in this year's meet. Coach Bo you are right on point!
Results of the 4x800 were announced, parents of the top 8 teams flocked to the area of the grandstand designated as "best photo opportunity" for the medal presentation. What a surprise to be told about the medal table under a tent outside of the arena. We want photos for our scrapbooks, for the family members that couldn't attend because it was Thursday, for school yearbooks & trophy cases. One step worse than last year when the winners stood behind small signs that designated their finish place. And it DOES matter to the athletes that there was no podium, or numbers, or handshake, or announcement of their accomplishment in front of peers and spectators.
Without details, there were many other problems this year. Advertisement signs blocking the view in the second turn, officials refusing to call out the lengths of jumps, starting the most important meet of the season at 2:30 on a weekday. Hello--parents work during the week, most A & AA schools are hours away from Louisville.
It is too late for my kid, but maybe things will improve when UK is the host. I intend to make my complaint to the KHSAA organization and any other organization involved in Kentucky's State Championship Track & Field Meet.
05/18/2012 8:50:09 PM
Coach
[quote=rsizemore12]maybe things will improve when UK is the host. I intend to make my complaint to the KHSAA organization and any other organization involved in Kentucky's State Championship Track & Field Meet.[/quote] @rsizemore12 If you're implying that the problems you described are the result of UofL hosting the State Meet, then you're sadly mistaken. The KHSAA is ultimately responsible for the format of the State Meet, and that's where your concerns should be directed (and I fully agree with each of those concerns). Yes, there's a Games Committee who makes certain decisions, but all of this ultimately falls on the shoulders of the KHSAA. I believe they care about the meet, but the perspective of participants (which includes parents, athletes and coaches) and directors (people who run the meet, but don't participate) are not necessarily the same. In my opinion, I don't think they fully realize the impact their decisions have had on the quality and special nature of the meet - i.e. from the participant's perspective.
rsizemore12 wrote:
aybe things will improve when UK is the host. I intend to make my complaint to the KHSAA organization and any other organization involved in Kentucky's State Championship Track & Field Meet.

@rsizemore12
If you're implying that the problems you described are the result of UofL hosting the State Meet, then you're sadly mistaken. The KHSAA is ultimately responsible for the format of the State Meet, and that's where your concerns should be directed (and I fully agree with each of those concerns). Yes, there's a Games Committee who makes certain decisions, but all of this ultimately falls on the shoulders of the KHSAA. I believe they care about the meet, but the perspective of participants (which includes parents, athletes and coaches) and directors (people who run the meet, but don't participate) are not necessarily the same. In my opinion, I don't think they fully realize the impact their decisions have had on the quality and special nature of the meet - i.e. from the participant's perspective.
05/18/2012 9:29:48 PM
User
I guess I'm spoiled :-( The last state meet at Dunbar in "07" was my first. Discus thrower introduction over PA each flight. Final 9 were announced. Top eight were escorted to the infield tent. All place finishers were called to their numbered box and recieved their medals. 2008-2009 No PA but the officials are vocal :-) After the event, throwers rushed to the stadium for the presentation and there was always somebody missing. Going to a tent to pick up your medal is like the state and regionals in AAU and USATF meets. Seems a letdown. The nationals do have presentations. Solution: Let us throwers have at least have the boxes and medal presetation at the throw site!!!!
I guess I'm spoiled

The last state meet at Dunbar in "07" was my first.
Discus thrower introduction over PA each flight.
Final 9 were announced.
Top eight were escorted to the infield tent.
All place finishers were called to their numbered box and recieved their medals.

2008-2009
No PA but the officials are vocal
After the event, throwers rushed to the stadium for the presentation and there was always somebody missing.

Going to a tent to pick up your medal is like the state and regionals in AAU and USATF meets. Seems a letdown. The nationals do have presentations.

Solution: Let us throwers have at least have the boxes and medal presetation at the throw site!!!!
05/18/2012 11:49:15 PM
User
"Matt Girardin does an excellent job announcing meets. He did our Sundown Invitational" I wasn't sure who that was this year. He was outstanding and really added to the meet.
"Matt Girardin does an excellent job announcing meets. He did our Sundown Invitational"

I wasn't sure who that was this year. He was outstanding and really added to the meet.
05/19/2012 12:00:18 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As a second year coach I was naive to this change of awards. I preached to my runners about visualizing themselves on the podium in front of family and friends. When my 4x800 boys earned that right they were devastated to learn that our awards were to be given to them by a nice elderly lady who said "you can take pictures against this backdrop". Our team is a program who has seldom made it to state and never dreamt of the podium and when they earned that right were told UofL won't allow the podium on the field. Not sure if that is true but the fact remains that is a memory tarnished that won't soon be forgotten.
As a second year coach I was naive to this change of awards. I preached to my runners about visualizing themselves on the podium in front of family and friends. When my 4x800 boys earned that right they were devastated to learn that our awards were to be given to them by a nice elderly lady who said "you can take pictures against this backdrop". Our team is a program who has seldom made it to state and never dreamt of the podium and when they earned that right were told UofL won't allow the podium on the field. Not sure if that is true but the fact remains that is a memory tarnished that won't soon be forgotten.
05/19/2012 7:09:42 AM
User
Every coach talks about making it to the podium. The Olympics, swimming, track, cross country, all sports the kids grow up with images stamped in their brains of athletes on the podium after they have worked so hard and receiving their awards. It is a tradition that is just part of the sport and it should be a central moment at the state meet. It is hard for me to believe any justification for not having the awards inside the stadium in front of the crowd, family, and coaches. This is so disheartening. Coach Crumbo is right about the announcing of the meet. The regional announcer was awesome. My son is not a thrower but I've always hated the fact that the throwers are relocated. Heck, what is one of them is a runner? One of my best sprinters a few years ago also threw the shot. We live 15 minutes from U of L's track and believe me I love the convenience of having it in our back yard. U of L has a nice fast track and I love the scoreboard and the grassy berm on the other side. It makes for a great atmosphere. It seems like the KTCCCA would want to make up for the throwers having to be so far away and really give them some attention at the awards program. Maybe they need to look at a location that has room to do the awards and throws inside the stadium. I don't understand why the coaches association would not have some representation on planning the meet. Part of the committee to plan the meet should include representation from the coach's association. Things like this always seem to happen to track and field and I think it is just the nature of the timing of the sport and the fact it is in the spring. You are competing with graduations and such. I didn't even mention the shortening of the season. Any coaches association input on that.
Every coach talks about making it to the podium. The Olympics, swimming, track, cross country, all sports the kids grow up with images stamped in their brains of athletes on the podium after they have worked so hard and receiving their awards. It is a tradition that is just part of the sport and it should be a central moment at the state meet. It is hard for me to believe any justification for not having the awards inside the stadium in front of the crowd, family, and coaches. This is so disheartening.

Coach Crumbo is right about the announcing of the meet. The regional announcer was awesome. My son is not a thrower but I've always hated the fact that the throwers are relocated. Heck, what is one of them is a runner? One of my best sprinters a few years ago also threw the shot.

We live 15 minutes from U of L's track and believe me I love the convenience of having it in our back yard. U of L has a nice fast track and I love the scoreboard and the grassy berm on the other side. It makes for a great atmosphere. It seems like the KTCCCA would want to make up for the throwers having to be so far away and really give them some attention at the awards program. Maybe they need to look at a location that has room to do the awards and throws inside the stadium.

I don't understand why the coaches association would not have some representation on planning the meet. Part of the committee to plan the meet should include representation from the coach's association. Things like this always seem to happen to track and field and I think it is just the nature of the timing of the sport and the fact it is in the spring. You are competing with graduations and such. I didn't even mention the shortening of the season. Any coaches association input on that.
05/19/2012 7:27:55 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=fnhscc]told UofL won't allow the podium on the field.[/quote] @fnhscc I don't know if this is true, and I hope not, but if so, the meet should be moved. Whether the KHSAA wants to admit it or not, this IS a big deal to a lot of people. For me, it would be a deal-breaker for a state meet site. Not that they couldn't find a solution, like maybe a portable platform riser that wouldn't lay on the grass (but if you were out there this week, you know there's not much grass there to begin with...the field is not in good shape).
fnhscc wrote:
told UofL won't allow the podium on the field.

@fnhscc

I don't know if this is true, and I hope not, but if so, the meet should be moved. Whether the KHSAA wants to admit it or not, this IS a big deal to a lot of people. For me, it would be a deal-breaker for a state meet site. Not that they couldn't find a solution, like maybe a portable platform riser that wouldn't lay on the grass (but if you were out there this week, you know there's not much grass there to begin with...the field is not in good shape).
05/19/2012 7:53:37 AM
Coach
[quote=BCrumbo]I don't know if this is true, and I hope not, but if so, the meet should be moved. Whether the KHSAA wants to admit it or not, this IS a big deal to a lot of people. For me, it would be a deal-breaker for a state meet site. Not that they couldn't find a solution, like maybe a portable platform riser that wouldn't lay on the grass (but if you were out there this week, you know there's not much grass there to begin with...the field is not in good shape).[/quote] @BCrumbo There hasn't actually been a podium for at least a couple years. They gather the athletes on the field, behind a placard with the finishing places and then announce everyone in the top 8. I've included a picture from 2010 below. Given that this finishing place placard thing is identical to the placards with all the advertising, I have a very hard time believing they can't continue using it this year. And if the finishing place thing really isn't allowed, then drop it and let the kids stand in the field without it and at least announce the kids' names in front of the crowd. As I think back, I'm fairly sure I remember someone more important than I'll ever be talking about how the powers-that-be weren't happy with having the awards in the field as they've done in the past for reasons like it involved getting kids to cross the track, they didn't always get full participation, the process slowed down the meet, etc. Never have I heard the "UofL doesn't want us doing awards in the infield" excuse until now. I *love* having the State Meet at UofL and strongly believe it's the best location, but I agree with BC - this would be a deal breaker for me too. I know the head facilities guy at UofL and I'm going to ask him about this, but if they really aren't allowed to do these awards in front of the crowd as they've done in the past, then I'd say adios UofL. [img]http://track.ahsdistance.org/DSC04375b.jpg[/img]
BCrumbo wrote:
I don't know if this is true, and I hope not, but if so, the meet should be moved. Whether the KHSAA wants to admit it or not, this IS a big deal to a lot of people. For me, it would be a deal-breaker for a state meet site. Not that they couldn't find a solution, like maybe a portable platform riser that wouldn't lay on the grass (but if you were out there this week, you know there's not much grass there to begin with...the field is not in good shape).

@BCrumbo
There hasn't actually been a podium for at least a couple years. They gather the athletes on the field, behind a placard with the finishing places and then announce everyone in the top 8. I've included a picture from 2010 below. Given that this finishing place placard thing is identical to the placards with all the advertising, I have a very hard time believing they can't continue using it this year. And if the finishing place thing really isn't allowed, then drop it and let the kids stand in the field without it and at least announce the kids' names in front of the crowd. As I think back, I'm fairly sure I remember someone more important than I'll ever be talking about how the powers-that-be weren't happy with having the awards in the field as they've done in the past for reasons like it involved getting kids to cross the track, they didn't always get full participation, the process slowed down the meet, etc. Never have I heard the "UofL doesn't want us doing awards in the infield" excuse until now.

I *love* having the State Meet at UofL and strongly believe it's the best location, but I agree with BC - this would be a deal breaker for me too. I know the head facilities guy at UofL and I'm going to ask him about this, but if they really aren't allowed to do these awards in front of the crowd as they've done in the past, then I'd say adios UofL.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.