Multiple Meet of Champions
10/25/2013 2:54:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I’m always a little peeved each season by the multiple meets using the “Meet of Champions” name this final weekend. I know it is not copyrighted or a registered trademark, but the Meet of Champions was created by the Kentucky Track & Cross Country Coaches Association nearly 30 years ago as a big season-ending meet for their members. To put on these other meets (Metro, Western Ky, Central Ky) is high jacking the name and I think diminishing to the prestige of the original meet. I am NOT saying anyone and everyone does not have the right to host their own meet this weekend, but make up your own name. To me, using MOC implies that your meet is somehow affiliated with the original meet, or that the MOC is divided into some sort of regional competitions throughout the state. You don’t see multiple schools in Louisville calling their meet Greater Louisville. I wouldn’t host a meet and call it the Rumble in the Jungle or some other original or creative name that is already being used. The Meet of Champions is the major fundraiser for the Coaches Association. These funds benefit the whole of track & cross country in the state of Kentucky (I hope everybody read the listserve posting from President Chad Waggoner detailing some of their current projects). These other MOC competitions are just like nearly every other meet – a fundraiser for the host school. Nothing at all wrong with that, but the KTCCCA has worked hard since the mid-1980’s to build the brand name recognition of THE MOC, and I don’t think copying their name is the right thing to do.
I'm always a little peeved each season by the multiple meets using the "Meet of Champions" name this final weekend. I know it is not copyrighted or a registered trademark, but the Meet of Champions was created by the Kentucky Track & Cross Country Coaches Association nearly 30 years ago as a big season-ending meet for their members. To put on these other meets (Metro, Western Ky, Central Ky) is high jacking the name and I think diminishing to the prestige of the original meet. I am NOT saying anyone and everyone does not have the right to host their own meet this weekend, but make up your own name. To me, using MOC implies that your meet is somehow affiliated with the original meet, or that the MOC is divided into some sort of regional competitions throughout the state. You don't see multiple schools in Louisville calling their meet Greater Louisville. I wouldn't host a meet and call it the Rumble in the Jungle or some other original or creative name that is already being used.

The Meet of Champions is the major fundraiser for the Coaches Association. These funds benefit the whole of track & cross country in the state of Kentucky (I hope everybody read the listserve posting from President Chad Waggoner detailing some of their current projects). These other MOC competitions are just like nearly every other meet -- a fundraiser for the host school. Nothing at all wrong with that, but the KTCCCA has worked hard since the mid-1980's to build the brand name recognition of THE MOC, and I don't think copying their name is the right thing to do.
10/26/2013 9:28:47 AM
Coach
@Asburycoach I get where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree. Other than attaching "Classic" to the title, the name "Meet of Champions" is a fairly common meet name. When you're talking about a very finite number of titles, there's bound to be some repetition. Meet titles mean much less than what the meet represents anyhow. On the HS level, the title may say "Meet of Champions", but the HS section of the meet is certainly not Championship quality. For some reason, a lot of the better HS teams (at least the 3A schools) seem to have moved away from the meet and I don't believe that had anything to do with the existence of other Meet of Champions meets. The Championship element comes from the MS and ES races, where quality is obviously very high - in that you've basically got the best competitors at those levels all facing off. When you ask an ES or MS person what the meet's called, however, I'll bet you hear "ES State" or "MS State" long before they ever say "Meet of Champions". I also think it's important to look closer at what's going on at these other MOC meets. Firstly, I believe the Metro MOC is a HS-only event, so there's no impact at all on ES and MS teams that would consider attending the KTCCCA MOC. I also seriously doubt that any of the teams who attend the Metro MOC would be competing at Masterson Station this weekend if there was no Metro MOC. On the HS level, I'd be surprised if things were any different at the other MOC meets as well. If someone has a good ES team, and definitely if they have a good MS team, then I'm sure that if they weren't in Lexington this weekend, it's because they can't (or prefer not to) make the trip. In that sense, the Regional MOC meets increase participation by providing opportunity to those who wouldn't have otherwise had (or availed themselves of) that opportunity. I think that's a positive thing as well. In my opinion, duck tape and competition are the two best answers to just about every problem or issue. Duck tape isn't too relevant with the MOC, but competition sure is. As the Regional MOC meets arise, then that creates at least some incentive for the KTCCCA MOC to improve. I believe they've done a good job in trying to respond to that incentive and to just the natural desire of wanting to provide a better "product". That's a testament to those running the KTCCCA MOC, but it may also be the root of the problem you've observed. In the process of creating an awesome ES and MS event, the KTCCCA has also created significant excess demand for their meet. Is it better for the KTCCCA MOC to put even more kids on the starting line or allow at least some of those teams to have other opportunities at the Regional MOC meets that may actually be more appropriate for them anyhow. I think that as long as the KTCCCA MOC is viewed as a Championship event at the ES and MS levels, and I don't ever see that changing, these Regional MOC meets serve a very useful purpose and should actually be promoted.
@Asburycoach
I get where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree. Other than attaching "Classic" to the title, the name "Meet of Champions" is a fairly common meet name. When you're talking about a very finite number of titles, there's bound to be some repetition.

Meet titles mean much less than what the meet represents anyhow. On the HS level, the title may say "Meet of Champions", but the HS section of the meet is certainly not Championship quality. For some reason, a lot of the better HS teams (at least the 3A schools) seem to have moved away from the meet and I don't believe that had anything to do with the existence of other Meet of Champions meets. The Championship element comes from the MS and ES races, where quality is obviously very high - in that you've basically got the best competitors at those levels all facing off. When you ask an ES or MS person what the meet's called, however, I'll bet you hear "ES State" or "MS State" long before they ever say "Meet of Champions".

I also think it's important to look closer at what's going on at these other MOC meets. Firstly, I believe the Metro MOC is a HS-only event, so there's no impact at all on ES and MS teams that would consider attending the KTCCCA MOC. I also seriously doubt that any of the teams who attend the Metro MOC would be competing at Masterson Station this weekend if there was no Metro MOC. On the HS level, I'd be surprised if things were any different at the other MOC meets as well. If someone has a good ES team, and definitely if they have a good MS team, then I'm sure that if they weren't in Lexington this weekend, it's because they can't (or prefer not to) make the trip. In that sense, the Regional MOC meets increase participation by providing opportunity to those who wouldn't have otherwise had (or availed themselves of) that opportunity. I think that's a positive thing as well.

In my opinion, duck tape and competition are the two best answers to just about every problem or issue. Duck tape isn't too relevant with the MOC, but competition sure is. As the Regional MOC meets arise, then that creates at least some incentive for the KTCCCA MOC to improve. I believe they've done a good job in trying to respond to that incentive and to just the natural desire of wanting to provide a better "product". That's a testament to those running the KTCCCA MOC, but it may also be the root of the problem you've observed. In the process of creating an awesome ES and MS event, the KTCCCA has also created significant excess demand for their meet. Is it better for the KTCCCA MOC to put even more kids on the starting line or allow at least some of those teams to have other opportunities at the Regional MOC meets that may actually be more appropriate for them anyhow. I think that as long as the KTCCCA MOC is viewed as a Championship event at the ES and MS levels, and I don't ever see that changing, these Regional MOC meets serve a very useful purpose and should actually be promoted.
10/26/2013 6:33:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As the Meet Director of Central Kentucky Meet of Champions I feel the need to chime in on this thread...For the record this meet was not meant to be a "fundraiser"....I am quite sure that the 300 people that were at my meet put any dent in the MOC. The purpose of the meet was to simply give another option. There are a lot of teams in this area that would have took the weekend off and finished there season last week because they either didnt want to go to MOC or felt that their program was too small or not good enough to compete on that level.
As the Meet Director of Central Kentucky Meet of Champions I feel the need to chime in on this thread...For the record this meet was not meant to be a "fundraiser"....I am quite sure that the 300 people that were at my meet put any dent in the MOC. The purpose of the meet was to simply give another option. There are a lot of teams in this area that would have took the weekend off and finished there season last week because they either didnt want to go to MOC or felt that their program was too small or not good enough to compete on that level.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.